Why Choose the Roof Garden?
A hidden gem, the Roof Garden features more than 3 acres of landscaped event space, beautiful views of Lake Merritt and a capacity of 1,500 people. A reflective pond, wooden bridge, expansive lawns and hundreds of specimens of trees and flora make this a magical place that’s easily accessible and in the urban heart of Uptown Oakland.
Reasonable prices and access to one-stop-shopping for all your catering, A/V equipment, seating and other needs make the Roof Garden a perfect venue for a wide variety of outdoor events, such as weddings, Bar or Bat Mitzvahs and Quinceañeras, retirement or other milestone celebrations as well as corporate parties.
Convenient access to the Roof Garden is facilitated by the elevator bank of the Kaiser Center parking garage, top floor “RG.”
- Seated – 300
- Standing – 1500
- Sq Footage – 3.5 Acres
- Staging Area – TBC
- Dinning Area – TBC
- Rental Fee: Ranges $600–$1000/hr
- Availability: Monday-Friday 5PM-2AM, Weekends All Day
- $10/person Saturday Premium Fee (for Wedding Packages only)
All our venue package rates include the necessary staffing to ensure the success of your event based on standard use. Additional staff may be required depending on guest count.
- Event Manager: $45/h
- A/V or Lighting Technicians: $45/h
- Event Staff: $30/h
- Janitorial: $45/h
- Security: $45/h
- HVAC: $355/h
- Ventilation: $115/h
- Fountain: $10/h
- Public Garage:
- Open Monday-Friday 6 AM-12 AM
- Rates: $8/h, Max $21
- All equipment provided by Oakland Venue Management.
- Please inquire for a customized quote.
- There is no on-site kitchen. Please speak with our staff for more information.
- Electric Heat Plates: Permitted
- Electric Ovens: Permitted
- Sterno: Permitted
- Barbeque: Not Permitted
- Propane Grill: Not Permitted
Equipment Buy out Fee – $1500
- Coffee & Tea Service - $5 per person, minimum 10 people
- Wine & Beer Packages - starting at $25 per person
- Full Hosted Bar - starting at $20 per person
History of the Roof Garden
The 3-acre roof garden at Oakland’s Kaiser Center was the first major privately owned Roof Garden in the United States. In fact, when the visionary creator cut the ribbon in 1960, it was the largest Roof Garden in the world.
This internationally acclaimed and renowned garden set the stage for green roofs, and has inspired the proliferation of roof gardens across the planet.
The idea of the garden was conceived by Edgar Kaiser Sr., the head of Kaiser and son of Henry J. Kaiser, the shipbuilding genius of World War II. Edgar Kaiser decided to make this roof a semi-public park, owned and maintained by Kaiser, but open to the public.
Roof Garden Species
The garden features forty-two specimens of trees (olive, holly oak, Japanese maple and southern magnolia). As far as shrub species, camellias, roses, rhaphiolepis and 9 different varieties of hedges can be found in the garden. Up to recently, 300 roses were spread over the garden. The majority of them are the 1960 AARS medal winning Floribunda “Sarabande”, a variety becoming increasingly difficult to find commercially.