Are you pondering about taking the plunge into the world of web two. with your library and making a wiki? I not too long ago place collectively a profitable wiki for my college library and so I would like to share some good results guidelines for how to do it successfully.
1. Which wiki platform are you going to use? This is crucial because there are hundreds of them out there and they all differ in terms of ease of use, price, and setup as well as the ability to control who can view your wiki as properly as who can post to your wiki.
2. Do you want to use your wiki exclusively as a system of organizing and altering material on your site? Or do you want to use the wiki to let your patrons to interact with each and every other?
three. What is the exact objective for your wiki? To communicate among library personnel? To communicate with your patrons? To let your patrons communicate with each and every other?
4. What content are you going to include things like on your wiki? Just links to other pages on your library web website, a searchable library catalog, info about library classes and events, well-liked books, news and announcements or other products?
5. Do you want to pay for a wiki service or do you want to use a cost-free wiki?
6. Is there a tech help individual accessible to enable you set up your wiki and to help with some periodic maintenance? If not, do you have a librarian who can take charge of the wiki and its updates and the technological side of maintaining a wiki? A wiki is a lot simpler to use and preserve up with on a regular web-site, nevertheless, you cannot just put it up and under no circumstances invest time functioning on it.
7. It also assists if you can create some wiki distinct content. In our case we created subject pages for each and every of the big subjects taught at our college and integrated hyperlinks to databases, magazines, books, ebooks, specialized encyclopedias and websites for every single subject. We also have our library news and policies amongst other products of interest to our patrons on our wiki. The original hidden wiki want to give your patrons a cause to read the wiki and to use it.
eight. Wikis are one of the technologies of the future and as extra and extra libraries and other organizations start utilizing them, it is to your advantage to understand how to use a single and to make a decision if it is appropriate for your library.